Drugstore Summer Foundation



When it comes to my base, I dabble a lot in both drugstore and high-end foundations and I guess its partly down to still feeling like I haven't found the *perfect* foundation mixed with a constant need to buy makeup? (please tell me someone else suffers from this??)

So, with that being said, here are some of my favourite foundations for the warmer months. As I've suffered with acne from around the age of 12 and have pretty oily skin, I always want some sort of good coverage, so I tend to steer away from the typical lighter, BB cream-style bases. So if you're looking for a lighter foundation to combat the heat but still want a somewhat flawless base, I've got you covered!

Revlon Colorstay Foundation - Straight up one of the best drugstore foundations there has ever been and ever will be. Providing oily/combination and dry/combination options is only just the first bonus as a pretty damn good colour range and medium to high, non-cakey coverage follows. Although I want a lighter, more breathable base in the summer, I've never found this to be heavy on the skin considering its coverage and thickness so I still reach for this on my longer, 9-5 type days. This is the most expensive of the foundations in this post retailing at around £10-11, but it lasts a long time and it is certainly worth every penny. Oh, and it has SPF 15.

L'oréal True Match Foundation I’m sure it’s no surprise that this puppy has made the shortlist. This line is perfect for anyone and everyone with its extensive range of shades, designed for one and all. Now here’s the funny part. None of the shades as standalone shades are actually a perfect match for me. *Alanis Morisette’s “Ironic” begins to play*. I sit somewhere between Neutral Ivory and Golden Ivory, but the pump dispenser bottles make mixing shades easy. The coverage of this I would say is a sheer medium, but it builds beautifully and it is feather light feeling on the skin with SPF 17. I've found that it doesn't have the staying power of the Revlon Colorstay, but it definitely gives you that "your skin but better" look and its a great drugstore dupe for the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation.

L'oréal Infallible 24H-Matte Foundation Another L'oréal winner here. This foundation isn’t the perfect match for my skin tone, but I don’t mind having to buff a bit of bronzer and coloured finishing powder to get it there. Some in the blogosphere have compared this to Nars Sheer Glow and I would completely agree. The differences? A cheaper price tag, a less than desirable colour range, and a slightly more matte finish (as the name would suggest). This is a great foundation for a matte but not “too matte” finish which oilier skin types might desire in the summer months. Again, like all L'oréal foundations it would seem, its longevity is great and it has a really manageable formula. Winner winner chicken dinner.

L'oréal Nude Magique Eau De Teint - I swear this post isn't sponsored by L'oréal, they just really nail the foundations. This is the wildcard for me. Remember what I said about liking the higher coverage bases? This is not one of them. This "lighter than water" foundation doesn't really provide any coverage, but it evens out the skin tone and with a few dabs of concealer where it's needed, it really works for the days when you just don't want to wear makeup. The colour range again isn't too great, and if you're a pinkier toned pale lady, be cautious as the lightest shade Porcelain is preeetty yellow, and if you suffer from dry this will cling to every dry patch like no one's business. The formula so light and quick-drying, you have no choice but to apply with your fingers as there is certainly no time to buff this stuff, but that makes it the one and only foundation I reach for on rushed mornings.


What foundations do you like to wear during the sweatier months?

- A.
Post a Comment