Top 5 Drugstore Concealers



When it comes to makeup, I love trying and experimenting with new products and formulas etc etc but one thing I just didn't dabble in a lot was concealer. I have religiously used Collection's Lasting Perfection Concealer since I was a teen and never saw or felt the need to try anything else but recently, particularly because the Collection saviour is usually sold out in the fairest shade, I've tried and tested some others and think I have a solid 5 favourites that I will always buy again and again.

The first concealer I tried that wasn't my ol' Collection fave was the Seventeen Phwoarr Paint. Being a firm believer that the cheaper the concealer, the better it is, I figured Seventeen were a similar brand to Collection in price and therefore would hopefully produce similar products. This concealer is a creamy, heavy coverage, in the pan concealer which comes in a small range of shades. I picked it up in the lightest shade 'Fair' and can honestly say it's great as you get quite a bit of product for your pennies. It isn't brightening in the sense that the fairest shade is similar to my all over foundation shade therefore it doesn't highlight and brighten the under eye, but it certainly does conceal. As it is heavy coverage, you don't need a lot of product to do the job and it does need setting as its quite thick, but my dark circles and spots/redness are definitely covered when using this, so it's a great concealer for all jobs. I find this product works best with either a buffing brush or your trusty fingers as it is too thick and balm-like to blend with a sponge/beauty blender. If you don't like heavy coverage products, this may not work for you, but if you need that extra conceal, maybe pick up this product if you haven't tried it yet.

Another product that isn't particularly brightening but I still fell in love with is the Maybelline Eraser Eye Concealer. I use the shade 'Light' and similar to the Seventeen offering, I find it is quite the same shade as most of my foundations. If you're a yellow-toned girl, this concealer is great, however as it doesn't have that pink undertone to it, its not actually the best at concealing dark circles. Despite this flaw, I do still like to use it under the eyes as the unusual sponge applicator does a great quick and easy job at applying the product and its a beautiful concealer to work into the skin. I often use this as a base concealer for my under-eyes before going over it with a heavier duty product as it creates such a lovely base and helps to blend any products added on top of it. If you're extremely pale however, it might not be light enough for you - just a wee warning!



My next three faves are your typical doe-foot applicator liquid concealers, but they all give a different little somethin' somethin'. I'll talk about the Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer first as it's a great one for brightening. The lightest shade of this concealer is still a little bit dark for me, but if I use it in conjunction with another lighter concealer, it works wonders. If I ever have a day where my eyes are looking particularly discoloured, grey, and tired, I always reach for this. It has light reflecting particles in it that give your skin an instant boost and make you look more fresh and awake. I'm still tempted to try the foundation from this range as I enjoy the results of the concealer so much. As this concealer isn't as heavy-duty as some of my others, I do find it can crease throughout the day, but the life it can give to a dull complexion definitely makes up for that.

My all-time second favourite is the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in the lightest shade. Having used the Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer, I can confidently say the packaging is not the only similar thing between these two products. If you need a drugstore, more affordable dupe of the Nars concealer favourite in the beauty blogging world, the Maybelline Fite Me is your best bet. They have a good range of colours (6 in total) considering it's only a drugstore range and it is affordable in price. This concealer is a little more sheer than some I am used to, but it does effortlessly lift and brighten the under eye area and creates a lovely base for adding extra concealer if I need it. It is buildable, doesn't go cakey, and doesn't sit in fine lines and wrinkles - result.

And now, of course, I need to mention my ultimate dark-circle, red spot fighting babe, the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer. There's not a lot I can say about this product that I probably haven't already mentioned in plenty of beauty posts before. It promises 16 hours of wear which to be honest, if powdered and set, I would argue is pretty accurate and it is definitely affordable. This concealer retails for around £4, comes in only 4 shades, but is a firm favourite with so many people. It is thick enough to give you great coverage, but it doesn't go cakey. If you use it on your under eyes, it won't rest in fine lines and will cover dark pigmentation, but if you use it on any pesky spots or red patches, it will also do a fine job of concealing those too. My one word of caution with this product is that I've found with daily use, it can actually be drying to use sometimes, but as long as you keep your skin well moisturised, this product is a dream to use.

So there's my top drugstore picks - do you have any others you'd recommend?


- A.
Follow me on Bloglovin'
Twitter & Instagram xo

Post a Comment