Seventeen Mega Matte Lipsticks



You're probably up to the eyeballs in lipstick posts from NB in the last few weeks so I promise this will be the last of them for a while, but when I saw that Seventeen had brought a new lipstick range out I just knew I had to give it a try. The new Mega Matte line is exactly what it says on the tin and is supposed to be a formula which will last for up to 13 hours(!!!). As a matte lippy lover I wanted to put these guys to the test but I especially wanted to test them out when I saw the ridiculously good colour range. There are 12 colours in the line, ranging from your wearable everyday nudes to bright violet purples but the best part? If you check them out on the Boots website for example, there is a colour wheel chart which indicates what shades you *should* be wearing for your skin tone. Now, I completely ignored the colour wheel because I'm a big believer in wearing whatever you want, but I picked up just two shades to try out which are: Looking Buff (a deep dusty/vintage rose nude shade considered a 'universal' lip shade) and Lava You A Lot (a bright hot orange/red which is perfect for summer and listed as a colour ideal for 'medium/dark' skin tones).

Now, I know what you're thinking: "Amyleigh, why on earth did you pick up a shade for dark skin tones?!" and the simple answer is I love orange and orangey red lipsticks. It's that simple. Whilst those sorts of shade definitely pop on darker lips, I think they really help lift and brighten my complexion and look great during the summer months. I thought I'd try out two shades which are the "typical" choices for me so I could really scrutinise the formula and wear of the lipsticks as well as see how they compare to some of my current faves which are similar in colour. The Mega Mattes retail for £4.49 - currently only £3.49 in Boots - which I think is an absolute steal but let's get onto how they swatch, look, and wear.

Seventeen Mega MattesSeventeen Mega Matte Lipstick 'Looking Buff'

Looking Buff
'Looking Buff' is definitely a wearable shade and is just a pinch darker than my normal lip colour. I think this is a really lovely shade that I do think would suit most skin tones as its got a good balance of blue/brown/nude hues to it. My one 'silly' gripe with these products is that the shape of the lipstick bullet is a nightmare for me to apply. I don't know if you can tell in the top picture of Looking Buff on the lips, but it's very easy to end up with the product overdrawn on your lips (my cupids bow isn't as defined as it naturally is because the bullet of the product is more rounded). Now obviously this is something that will be solved over time as the lipstick moulds to my lip shape and application method, but if you have thin lips or if your lips have a naturally distinct cupid bow for example, you might want to take your time with the application. The formula itself is very creamy when applying despite it's matte texture and I found that it didn't drag on the lips too much. This shade is really pigmented and after just a couple of swipes on the top and bottom lip, I was good to go!

Seventeen Mega Matte LipsticksSeventeen Mega Matte Lipstick: Lava You A Lot

Lava You A Lot
Okay so I really really like this shade. It's so bright and vibrant and perfect for those sunny days or holidays abroad. Just like the more wearable Looking Buff shade, I found the formula to be creamy and easy to apply but again, I still needed to be careful about the shape of my lips. Lava You A Lot was a little trickier to apply though in the sense that one or two swipes across each lip was not enough. Don't get me wrong, this shade is highly pigmented, but to get the colour completely opaque, I did need to make sure to apply and apply again in order to get one solid colour across the lip. From a few reviews I've seen of other colours, this also seems to be a wee issue with the deep bright purple shade, Violet Summer, which seems to be the patchiest of the bunch. These lippies are really buildable though so as long as you don't mind spending an extra minute on your application, you can build up the colour to completely mask your natural lip colour without the product building up and looking cakey. A *big test* I wanted to do with this shade in particular was to see how well it would wear throughout the day and I can honestly say, I was not disappointed. I wore this shade for around 8 hours and drank copious amounts of tea and ate numerous things and the lipstick barely budged. For £4.49, that is uh-mazing.

Seventeen Mega Matte Lipstick Swatches
From left to right: "Looking Buff" and "Lava You A Lot"

Overall these Mega Mattes are well worth the small price tag. They're creamy to apply, I don't find them drying despite the matte appearance (although they do sit in the natural creases of your lips even if you balm up/moisturise beforehand so if you don't like that, it's something to bear in mind), and they're not tacky to the touch like liquid matte lipsticks can be. The feel incredibly light on the lips and don't give you that 'matte' lip feeling if you smack your lips together (you know the feeling I'm talking about right? That powdery, 'it feels like I'm lifting up and removing flakes of the product if I'm squeeze my lips together' feeling? Yeah you don't get that at all. Huzzah). Hopefully you can see from the swatches, the look of these lipsticks is exactly what it promises as they have zero shine or satin-look to them so they're great for bold lip or matte lippie lovers alike.

I don't know if they'd last the 13 hour wear time as I haven't been brave enough to keep a lippie on for that length of time, but considering Lava You A Lot lasted around 8 hours with no touch-ups, I'd say they're pretty damn good. When eating and drinking, I found they didn't really transfer that much (maybe a tiny bit around the corners of my mouth) but that was it. I also found when removing the lipstick my lips were much darker in colour to normal so I guess they stain the lips slightly too?! If they do then I'm an even bigger fan of them because it all helps with the longevity of them and prevents the dreaded "ring around the outer lip" look. For under 5 quid, I don't think you can grumble and I'll definitely be picking up some other shades ASAP - Roses Are Red and Rioja Your World, I've got my eye on you guys for autumn/winter!

Have you tried the new Seventeen Mega Mattes? What are your thoughts?


- A.
Follow me on Bloglovin'
Twitter & Instagram xo

Post a Comment