Top 10 Matte Liquid Lipsticks



As it was #NationalLipstickDay last week, I shared a few of my lipstick posts on Twitter covering some of my top picks for a pink or nude lip, what you should reach for for that perfect red lip and of course, what plums and berries get your pout looking perfect in the autumn/fall months. After I tweeted about these appreciation posts of what is probably my favourite makeup product, I realise it has been a long long time since I last did a post that was exclusively on lipsticks (you know, if we ignore my Lime Crime Perlees post I did just a few weeks ago... Okay, I just want an excuse to post about lipstick okay? Okay. Okay okay.)

So I thought about what kind of updated post could I do and realised I've never posted about my favourite formula of lipstick: the highly coveted liquid lipstick, particularly matte liquid lipsticks. Matte liquid lipsticks have become a huge thing in the beauty world in the last few years and although the formula can be drying and isn't the easiest product to maintain and wear for a long period of time, it is still my favourite type of lipstick to wear on a day to day basis. They're more or less smudge proof, the colour pay-off can be amazing, and food and drink? Ha, I laugh in the face of danger because that liquid lipstick ain't going no where. So I figured this post could cover a couple of things in the realm of the liquid lippies: firstly, what are my favourite brands/products in general and what their formulas are like, their wear time etc. and secondly, what my favourite shades are. Nowadays I tend to steer towards corally nudes, bright vibrant oranges, or classic reds on a day to day basis, but there is some wildcards that often sneak there way into my makeup bag so I'll show you those too. These are some of my current favourites but to be honest, I have a lot of Colourpop Satin & Matte formula lippies on my to-buy list so I think it's safe to say this list might shuffle around when I get my hands on those!

Lime Crime Velvetines in 'Red Velvet' & 'Beet It' (£15.17 each): Okay so first up I'll talk about the most expensive of the bunch and that is the Velvetines from Lime Crime. As I've mentioned in posts before, I'm a huge huge fan of the Velvetines and they are the first brand/product that got me *into* matte liquid lipsticks. I find Lime Crime's formula to be really long lasting (some colours more than others) and they're pretty much smudge proof. My first ever shade I got was Red Velvet which is a true red and possibly my most favourite. It is really comfortable to wear, I've worn it for 3 course meals before and it has only rubbed away slightly in the middle of the lips and they're not as drying as some other formulas. The lipstick isn't too thick to apply and layers can be added to make sure you've got the perfect pout. Although I have a few different shades, another favourite of the ones I have collected so far is Beet It. This is you classic berry shade so it's perfect for autumn/fall but it has a pinkness to it so I find it more wearable than say the other berry shade Velvetine I have, Wicked. The pink makes it more bright and vibrant but it's still a deep lip which is perfect for me as with having pale skin and dark hair, a deep dark lip can sometimes look a little too much. I find Beet It to be more drying than Red Velvet which could just be my batch or it could be an ingredient in the colour, but it is still invincible when it comes to wearing off.

Lime Crime Velvetine in Red Velvet
Matte Liquid Lipstick Swatches
From Left to Right: MUA Laquers 'Halcyon' & 'Atomic', NYX Lingerie 'Exotic', Lime Crime 'Beet It' & 'Red Velvet', The Balm Meet Matt(e) Hughes 'Honest', Revlon Ultra HD 'Love' & 'Flirtation', NYX Soft Matte 'Stockholm' & 'Copenhagen'

NYX Lingerie in 'Exotic' (£6.5o): My first of 2 choices from NYX, their Lingerie range is your typical quick-drying formula matte liquid lipstick and most people seem to love these. I would say if you're wearing them for more than 3 or 4 hours, they can be quite drying so it's a good idea to apply them over the top of balmed/conditioned lips to help prevent that feeling but overall I'm a big fan. I think the packaging of these lipsticks are nice and sleek and definitely make the product look more expensive that it's mere £6.5o price tag. The range has been quite popular in the beauty world as all of the shades are more neutral and muted, Exotic being one of the few shades that is darker and not nude. All of them have a nude element to them so there is definitely something for everyone and they are so quick drying, they're a perfect choice for if you're in a rush. They don't feel tacky on the lips because of this and I don't think they flake particularly badly but it wouldn't be a one I wear out for dinner. My favourite from the couple of shades I have so far is 'Exotic' which is a deep reddy brown shade. It looks much darker and more brown on me that it looks on some other people, but I still like it as it's different from most of my other lippies in my collection.

NYX Lingerie in Exotic

The Balm Meet Matt(e) Hughes in 'Honest' (£13.5o): Now let's talk about the product that has crept into the actual top spot despite being my latest lipstick purchase. I'm a big fan of The Balm for their highlighters (obviously) and their bronzers and blushers but a product I've always wanted to try is their liquid lipsticks: Meet Matt(e) Hughes. And oh my goodness, I need every shade. I chose the shade 'Honest' as my first to try out because from swatches, it looked like quite a corally peachy nude which is a colour I quite like on myself. It is just that but with a hint of pink too that makes it a bit brighter. I love this formula so much. It's really creamy to apply, doesn't drag on the lips, is very pigmented, and smells like peppermint (what's not to like right?!). The product is so good for it's price point as its a really comfortable to wear - so comfortable that my first time wearing it I forgot I had it on! It doesn't settle into the natural wrinkles of your lips and it doesn't stay tacky but doesn't dry down *too* much at the same time. I think I've sang its praises enough but if you're ever put off by liquid lipsticks - particularly matte ones - give this one a go because its the best formula I've found so far.

Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lip Colour in 'Love' & 'Flirtation' (£8.99): Another matte lippy I would suggest to those who are a little intimidated by these kind of formulas is the recently released Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lip Colours. I find the formula of these lipsticks to be very creamy and thick but they don't dry down too thick unlike some other products I've tried. They have a sickly sweet scent that makes me think of summer which I quite like and despite the applicator being a an elongated doe foot style, it's really easy to apply and disperse the product evenly. They have pretty much all of your basic colour choices covered but my faves are 'Love' (another true red like Red Velvet but more vibrant and *summery*) and 'Flirtation' (an almost muted watermelon pink which is very "not me" but I love it). They are comfortable to wear as they're not drying but be warned - the reason they don't dry your lips out is because they take an age to dry down and mattify. Even when they do, they're not fully matte or velvet like so they can still my pursed between the lips and can be a little bit tacky but not in an uncomfortable way. I personally quite like this as it means they're a more moisturising option in my collection, but it's worth bearing in mind in case you were expecting a totally matte/shine free finish. The packaging for these ones are also lovely and sleek and they've also become a firm favourite in a short space of time.

Revlon, NYX, The Balm Liquid Lipsticks

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in 'Stockholm' & 'Copenhagen' (£5.5o): My other NYX favourite, the Soft Matte Lip Creams, are super affordable and super great. I won't say too much about these ones as I've already mentioned them in detail in another post but they're a big favourite in the beauty blogging world & it's easy to say why. These are probably the easiest lippies to wear out of the whole bunch because you can reapply and reapply throughout the day without them flaking/drying out your lips. Two faves of mine are 'Stockholm' which I wear almost everyday and is a lovely everyday nude and 'Copenhagen' which is a perfect plummy/berry shade but I also love Morocco, London, and Zurich too!

MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Laquer in 'Halcyon' & 'Atomic' (£3.oo): Lastly I'm going to finish up with the best lip option for those on a budget. MUA is a fantastic brand for affordable but good makeup and I really love their Luxe Velvet Lip Laquers as for 3 quid, they do a pretty good job at duping the Lime Crime Velvetines. My absolute favourite shade is 'Halcyon' which is a peachy nude that is great for everyday wear and makes the blue in my eyes pop and I also love 'Atomic' which is the perfect dupe for Lime Crime's Suede Berry and is a super bright orangey red - perfect for summer or for those who love to tan! It looks great on pale skin too though & is a shade I think would suit a lot of different people. These lippies do dry down quite quickly, they're not too drying, but they will settle into the creases of your lips and they do have a tendency to flake if you eat/drink whilst wearing them. They don't transfer at all however which is fab but the crumbling/flaking can be problematic as the formula is quite thick so they can't be reapplied without going gloopy and looking messy. But for £3? I totally recommend them for a night out or if you're just wearing it for a few hours.

My Top Liquid Lipsticks
Liquid Lipstick Swatches
From Left to Right: MUA Laquers 'Halcyon' & 'Atomic', NYX Lingerie 'Exotic', Lime Crime 'Beet It' & 'Red Velvet', The Balm Meet Matt(e) Hughes 'Honest', Revlon Ultra HD 'Love' & 'Flirtation', NYX Soft Matte 'Stockholm' & 'Copenhagen'

So there's my current favourites! The nudes and pink shades tend to be my most regularly used as they're such easy shades to throw on no matter what outfit you're wearing, but I'll always be a sucker for a nice red and a bright berry is beautiful for when I want to look a little more put together or when the weather starts to get chilly. Like I said, I'm desperate to try the matte range from Colourpop & I still need to desperately get my hands on the Kat Von D mattes, but for now, these guys keep me ticking over.

Do you have any favourite matte liquid lipsticks you'd recommend?


- A.
Follow me on Bloglovin'
Twitter & Instagram xo

Post a Comment