SLIDER

WELCOME


Self care, skin care, & nurturing Mother Nature.

Read more here

Trying to live a more minimal and conscious life in search of pure happiness and joy

A-Z of Amyleigh



Hello you wonderful people - today I thought I'd do another more personal but lighthearted post because I know my 25 Things I've Learned in 25 Years post back in April was a big hit with a lot of you and well I just wanted to write something that was a bit more chatty and fun. One thing I've noticed my blog is sometimes lacking in a more personal insight into me. I mean, I write posts 3/4 times a week, talking about the things I like or things that I have done, but I don't necessarily talk about myself on a deeper level. So with that said, I thought the A-Z tag would be a perfect post to do. Months ago, I considered doing this as a series on the blog but that would mean it would take 26 weeks to complete and I ain't got enough blog schedule space for those kind of shenanigans so one post will suffice! I hope you enjoy reading this as I had a good ol' think about what to include and what you guys might want to know about me or just completely random facts that you might not have ever have guessed. So grab a cuppa and strap yourselves in because it's going to be a long one:

A - Art. I absolutely love drawing and painting and although I don't get to do it much at the moment because of my hectic full on job, I love it as a topic of discussion, a way to spend spare time, and a way to learn more about people/history/culture/religion etc. I plan to do a full post on art - which may include some of my own creations - in the near future in my "My Other Interests" series so keep a look out for that if you're a fellow art aficionado. I find Tumblr is a great site for me to collate artwork I like and feel inspired during those times I can afford to spend several hours beavering away myself so again, check out tumblr if what sort of art I like intrigues you.

B - Bananas and Bourbon biscuits. I bet you were expecting me to mention something about books here but har har I've deceived you. Books are pretty important but no where near as important as banana flavoured stuff and bourbon biscuits. I'm actually not that keen on bananas (they have an odd texture and I'm not a fan) but give me banana flavoured milk or those little foam sweets and I am aaall over that. If I had to choose just one snack option for the rest of my life though, albeit a tough decision to make, I know I'd have to pick the best biscuits in the world. Custard creams you come a close second though so don't worry.

C - Custard Cre- just kidding. Comics comics comics. This one is another not surprising statement for most of you, but I bloody love comics and graphic novels. Although I like to get stuck in and lost in a good novel, I always prefer picking up a comic or thirty. There's so many different and adventurous stories that comics can bring to life I'm always spoilt for choice - it also means I can appreciate some pretty darn good artwork too so win win.

D - Dance. From the age of about six, I went to weekly dancing classes and was particularly good at line dancing (yep, cowboy hat and boots and all). I'm blowing my own trumpet here but I was actually incredibly good at it but foolishly gave it up when I became a teenager because it was "embarrassing", too much effort, and ugh it meant I couldn't wear my MCR or Green Day hoodies 24/7. I'd love to go back to it someday.

E - Engagement. Back in August, Matthew proposed to me and I was so happy I (almost) did a cry and I'm the "ice queen" so I never cry. Since then my favourite bit of jewellery will forever be my engagement ring.

F - Fangs. If you google the phrase "yaeba" or "yaeba teeth", you'll be met with a definition that states: "In Japan, yaeba is human teeth, especially upper canines, with an uncommonly fang-like appearance. In Japan it is perceived as a sign of youthfulness". After having braces for a while when I was little, I managed to fall down the stairs and knocked my upper canines into the mess they are now and I still haven't had them fixed. People in Japan will pay up to £350 per tooth to get the look I got by cartwheeling down the stairs like a buffoon so maybe I should move there to be the ultimate trend-setter.

G - Games. Something I occasionally mention on NB is games. I am an avid video game player when I have the spare time to get completely lost in one and have been feverishly playing them since I was really young. Both of my parents were into gaming and into completely different styles of it at that so I adopted a love for all sorts of stuff and the love has never really faded. I did a whole post on some of my all-time favourites already and I do a monthly mention of anything I've been playing in my monthly review posts too! Also feel like I should mention here that Gabumon was my favourite Digimon growing up because I know you need these golden nuggets of information.



H - Hook. I could have put so many things here but there was just a niggling feeling that I should mention Hook. Peter Pan is one of my all-time favourite stories and has been since I was small. I love the original Peter Pan story, I love Disney's Peter Pan adaptation, but the Peter Pan-related story I love the most has to be the Spielberg movie, Hook. Robin Williams is absolute gold in it (when is he not though, come on now) and no matter how many times I watch it, I never get bored and almost always cry at least once. It's just so good.

I - Introverted Homebody. I've definitely mentioned it somewhere before, but I am an introvert through and through. It has taken me a long time to realise this and come to terms with it/accept it, but I'm happiest at home, basking in my own company, reading or watching TV. If people don't like that, I don't mind because I'm happy.

J - Juice. I am an utter juice fiend. Particularly for cranberry or apple juice. I just can't get enough.

K - Kerrang! all the goddamn time. This probably isn't that surprising if you know my music taste, but Kerrang! was pretty much my whole teen years. It was on TV from the moment I got in from school until I went to bed everyday and my local newsagents had to order in two copies of the magazine - one for me and one for the only other goth in the village - because I lived in a delightful chavvy place so it wasn't a mag that would usually grace the shelves.

L - Labyrinth. Another film I had to mention was obviously, Labyrinth. David Bowie is one of my most favourite musical artists and the Labyrinth film is my firm childhood favourite and easily in my Top Five as an adult. I just have extremely fond memories of it and if I ever have children, they will be made to watch it until they appreciate it for all it's cheese and amazingness too.

M - Cormack McCarthy and Mass Effect. Mr McCarthy will be one of my most favourite authors from now until the end of time. His writing style and storytelling is like no other and his wonderful book, The Road, will always make me want to cry, throw it across the room, but also cradle it because it gives me every single feeling all at once. If you haven't read it, you have to ASAP. Also just thought I'd pop Mass Effect in here because other than Final Fantasy, it is my favourite game series and I'm literally chomping at the bit for the release of the new game next year. Oh. my. GOOD. god.

N - Northern Blood. I don't think I've ever mentioned why NB is NB, but its because I'm a Geordie (someone who hails from the north east of England) and I'm proud. Simple as that. Whey aye man!

O - Ocean. One thing I really miss about living in the north east is how easy it was to get to the beach. Hop on the underground or a bus and 30 minutes later, you could be sitting next to the crashing waves with a hot drink. I never ever get the feeling I do at the beach anywhere else and even just walking along the coastline for half an hour or so can give me a positive boost that will last for days.

P - Pangolins and Proteas. As all the other letters are taken for some of my favourite animals (sloths, tapirs, bees, owls) I thought I'd mention the wee little cuties pangolins. That meme saying they look like they are about to ask you to prom? I die. I also thought I'd mention proteas (or sugarbushes) here too. I love yellow and orange roses and I'm a big fan of sunflowers, thistles, eucalyptus leaves, and ferns when it comes to flowers and plants, but my ultimate favourite flower are those big ol' beautiful proteas because they look out of this world. Oh I should also mention that I put pepper on/in pretty much everything I eat. And far too much of it too - I love it.



Q - Quality Street green triangles. Now if were unfortunate enough to have ate the green triangles out of the Quality Street tin/tub at Christmas time without consulting me first, your life would not have been worth living. Whether it was my mam, brother, or grandparents, they all had to (and sometimes still do) save the green nougat triangles for me because they're my faves.

R - Ryan Gosling a.k.a. my second boyfriend. People who know me will be rolling their eyes right now (including Matt- hi Matt, you know about this fling it's fine) because this love affair is no secret. I fancy the pants of Ryan Gosling because duh, it's Ryan Gosling, but I would also say alongside Heath Ledger (third boyfriend), Robin Williams and Paul Rudd, he's one of my favourite actors because he's in a lot of my favourites films. Coincidence? Probably not. But he *is* a great actor... He just also happens to have been handcrafted by the gods too.

S - Serial Killers and Silent Hill. That took a deep uncomfortable turn there didn't it? I have a morbid fascination with true crime/serial killers and criminal psychology. At college I wanted to study criminal psychology because, believe it or not, Silence of the Lambs made that job look hella appealing to me. I still think it would amazing to work with people in that sector because I love finding out what made them do what they did, but I guess it's safer to just observe it all at a distance via documentaries/books. I also thought I'd give a quick shout out to Silent Hill because those games fucked me up as a child and I still love the movies - even if they're not that great I regularly watch them anyway. I just love the monster character design of the franchise and I personally thought the storyline for the initial games was a pretty great one.

T - Twin Peaks. Sticking with the macabre and the strange because why the fuck not it's almost Halloween, I had to quickly mention my all-time favourite show: Twin Peaks. Special Agent Dale Cooper is a heartthrob, David Lynch is a mastermind, and the theme tune is the most relaxing thing in the world. This show makes me feel incredibly nostalgic when I watch it and I love every character and what to have all of their wardrobes (Log Lady is my ultimate favourite though for obvious reasons. I mean, she has a talking log and great glasses). If you don't know what Twin Peaks is, it's a show about Special Agent Dale Cooper, an out of town investigator, comes to Twin Peaks to investigate a death of a young school girl. It's briliiantly bizarre and unpredictable and if you watch it, you can thank me later.

U - University. Let's go for the triple threat and talk about how I want to study death at university. I have kinda done this already as I studied Archaeology for my undergrad degree, but I am desperate to get back to studying and next on my education hit list is a masters in looking at how death and bereavement is celebrated and conducted in different cultures and religions. It literally sounds like the ideal course to me.

V - Vincent Valentine and Vileplume. If you read my post about my favourite video games or know about my love and obsession with Final Fantasy, you might just know who Vincent Valentine is. He's a character from FFVII and he is the most emo, vampirish character in anything ever so naturally, I've loved him since the first time I played the game. Cid Highwind is a close runner up though just because he's such a grumpy old dad of a man and I love it. Vileplume was also my favourite original Pokémon if you were wondering!



W - Wagner. No, I'm not talking about Wilhelm Richard Wagner, the German composer no no no, I'm talking about Wagner from X Factor. Remember him? He was the best contestant there has ever been on that show ever and he was the one reason I managed to watch a who season of it. What a guy.

X - The X-Files. Another cult favourite show of mine has got to be X-Files. It has the slightly cheesy but super nostalgic 90s feel for me and it is truly a great show - if you haven't watched it and sci-fi is your thing, you need to watch all of the old series. This year they also relaunched it with the same main characters and I'm pleased to say, it's still a delight for the senses.

Y - Yellow and Yoga. I've almost definitely mentioned it before here on NB, but my favourite colour is yellow. It's such a lovely bright vibrant colour and sunflowers and bees are yellow and they are some of my favourite things. I also love spending time doing yoga. I had a bit of a hiatus this year but I'm back on track with it now and it makes me so relaxed, calms down my anxiety, and boy oh boy does it improve my flexibility and muscle tone. Big thumbs up to yoga.

Z - Zombies. When it comes to horror, I love giving myself the willies but I'm also terrified of everything. One thing I do enjoy though is anything to do with zombies. The Walking Dead is a *great* TV show, Tokyo Ghoul is one of my favourite animes which has human flesh-eating ghouls in it, and as I mentioned earlier, Silent Hill and the likes of Resident Evil were some of my favourite games growing up. I also love watching makeup YouTubers do zombie SFX stuff too - my current favourite is this trypophobia zombie offering from Jordan Hanz. I quite like the blood and gore of horror, I just don't deal well with the paranormal and jump scares! Also if you haven't watched Mark Plier play through the zombie/horror survival game "Outlast" specifically, the "Whistleblower" playlist, you need to watch it.

Gosh, this post is a long one but I had a lot of fun writing it! I had to ask Matthew for help several times because it's incredibly tricky trying to think of something for every single letter. I hope you enjoyed reading it and if you managed to read it all without getting bored, I salute you. I hope you've gained a little insight into me, the nutter who runs NB, and complete the tag yourself!


- A.
Follow me on Bloglovin'
Twitter & Instagram xo

© NB • Theme by Maira G.