Favourite Beauty Posts 2016



Thankfully we're approaching the end of what seems to have been a universally miserable year by many accounts. Although 2016 may have been a rollercoaster of a year for most of us, 2016 also marks a full year of blogging for me that has been successful and I can see how far I have come in that short yet long time. At the start of this year, I did a little review post and included some of my favourite posts I'd created for NB in 2015 and I was about to do the same for 2016 then I realised... There was far too much to include in just one post. In 2015, I had only posted from July - December and I also had done a lot more outfit posts than say photography or mindfulness posts. So I figured the best thing to do would be to categorise them - just how I usually categorise what I post on specific days on NB anyway - and see what my top posts have been for each category so far.

So to kick things off I thought I'd start with beauty/skincare/haircare. I've been posting my beauty posts on NB every Wednesday and they are often some of my most popular posts every week and if I look my stats for this whole year, they've been some of my most visited and read posts of all which is crazy! I absolutely love experimenting with makeup and trying to find the skincare that is right for me so maybe my passion for this shines through in my blog posts and that's why you guys like them (or you're just massive makeup *addicts* like me and can never read too many reviews of the same products every seems to have been testing out!). So I've picked my favourite posts from 2016 and they include posts that I really enjoyed writing, posts where the photography came out better than expected and that I was super proud of, and posts that you guys seemed to love. So let's take a look at 2016 beauty from NB:


Lush: Bella Fruta Giftbox
Lush seems to be a staple beauty post/video favourite topic and it's because we all like some glitter and nice smelling luxurious baths now and again. Reviewing this giftset was great because it gave me the opportunity to try out some products that I would necessarily pick out for myself from Lush so I found some hidden gems that are now some firm favourites and also I was pretty damn happy with my photography on this post - despite being silly and not including any swatches/in-action shots of the products in use!


Why I Wear Makeup
This post was a lovely one to write just because it gave me a chance to be honest about why I actually wear makeup and it was great to see that my reasons have changed for the better over the years. Long gone are the days that I wore it as a mask to hide my imperfections behind and hello to the current days where I wear it because it's fun, experimental, and an art form. Writing this post gave me the opportunity to reflect on something I've done for the past 13 years and truly understand the value of it and why I enjoy it.


Vegan & Cruelty Free Skincare from Dr Botanicals
I had to include this post in my favourites because it was the first skincare review I was asked to do with a brand. It gave me the chance to work with a brand and also the opportunity to try out some skincare that otherwise I never would have tried due to not knowing a lot about it and also because of it's high-end price point. I've really fallen in love with this skincare brand through reviewing their products for NB so it's safe to say this was a successful post all-round (except for my bank balance).


Tokyo Milk / Dark Perfume
Another post that I was insanely happy with the photography on was this review of the minis set from Tokyo Milk. I love Tokyo Milk for their perfumes and this set was *everything* to get my hands on. Their scents are so unique and unusual that there's something for everyone whilst also being noticeably different from what you tend to see on the high street. This post was a real challenge to write because wow-wee, is it hard to write about fragrances! I adore wearing perfume and trying different scents and brands but writing about the notes and how it smelt to me was really tricky so I definitely want to try and write more fragrance-related posts in future to get some more practice at trying to describe scents!


Lime Crime Perlees Metallic Lipsticks Review
It should be no surprise to see at least one lipstick review post made its way into my favourites this year because everyone knows I love a good lipstick. Lime Crime have been a favourite brand of mine for years now when it comes to lipsticks and I really pushed myself out my comfort zone this year by experimenting with the metallic lip trend and the Lime Crime Perlees did not disappoint. I loved reviewing these lipsticks because they were so different to what I was used to but I also really enjoyed getting the photography done for this post too.


Real Talk: That Time of the Month
I've done a couple of "Real Talk" posts now and plan to do a lot more in the new year, but to kick them off I started with one thing I know a lot about and that's periods. I was hesitant to post this one at first but then I realised I'm confident and happy to talk about my body hang-ups and what I struggle with health and mental health-wise so this was a no brainer. It was actually really therapeutic to write about the struggles I've had with periods over the years and it was really encouraging and comforting to see so many of you lovely lot tell me all about your bloody woes on Twitter and in the comments in response. I got to test out some great natural products from Veeda too which led to me being more educated about period products on a whole so it was such a positive post to write.


Foundation Free & Happy
Quite possibly my most favourite post to write in my beauty category this year was a one that was strangely about not wearing makeup. I've been going out, sans foundation, for months now and it has been such a big step from my where I was this time last year, with a mask of thick foundation and powder just to hide my acne. I know lots of people love to wear a full face and good for you - do it. Do whatever the hell you want. But I've realised this past year I'm actually more comfortable and confident with no foundation. If I've got a spot that is the size of a small nation that I can't cover up properly I still get down about it but I just deal with the best way I can instead of letting it get to me so much. I am so proud of myself and my change in mentality so writing that down was such a pat on the back for me.


The Body Shop Matt Lip Liquid Range Review
Lastly, I had to give a shout out to this lip review post because although I've already included one lip review post in this favourites round-up, this particular one has been my most viewed and read post of the whole of 2016 nay the whole time I've been blogging on NB. Insane, right?! I couldn't believe it but this has been a big favourite. I was quite pleased with my swatches and I feel like I had written it very honestly, but it also seems to have been a big hit with you lot so thank you so much!


- A.
Follow me on Bloglovin'
Twitter & Instagram xo

Post a Comment